Monday, October 13, 2008

Barn cats

About eight years ago I stayed with Aunt Alice in Marionville for a couple of weeks. I'd seen cats around the property and I wanted to see where they were staying so I followed one into the barn. I watched it go in between a couple bails of hay so I peeked in. To my surprise I found that the cat had kittens.

I went back to the house to let Alice know she had kittens and she wanted to know where they were. I led her to the spot in the barn and showed her. Since I had disturbed the secret hiding place, the mother had moved all but one of the kittens to another location. Alice picked up the one remaining kitten and said, "lets go."

I followed her and she grabbed a shovel on her way out of the barn. She walked out past the tractor and down to the little pond right before the pasture. She dropped the kitten on the ground and looked at me. Then she sighed and said, "Oh, I hate it when their eyes are open!" Then without another word our 80-year-old great aunt took that shovel and smashed that kitten to the ground, scooped it up and tossed it over the fence into the pasture. She put the shovel away and went back into the house.

1 comment:

Trac said...

This is something I'd not want to witness.