Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Maxi pads

The very first Christams after Mindy and I were married we went to Oregon. On Christmas eve we had a nice gathering of relatives and friends. This was Mindy's first real experience with the family and we were having a nice time. For dinner we had a choice of clam chowder or chili and there were plenty of snacks all around.

Esther decided she was ready for a refill and said she wanted a little bit of chili and a little bit of chowder in the same bowl. With a little smile I put a scoop of each into her bowl, just then she added while shaking her bowl at me, "throw a piece of sausage in there."

After dinner Joy and Heidi were reminiscing that they had tricked me as a 12-year-old into staying home by telling me they were going to the store for maxi pads. At that moment Esther chimes in with... "Do they still make maxi pads?" My dad says, "Mom, not now." Joy then replied, "wait a second, I want to see where this is going... Yes, they do still make maxi pads." Ester: "Good. Melvina used to have to wear these bulky things, and when I get that old I don't want any bulky things I'd rather just use a maxi pad."

In an effort to kill the subject my dad says, "Oh mom, I just bought you a bunch of depends for Christmas."

Needless to say all in attendence, including my new wife, were well amused.

No comments: