Friday, October 10, 2008

Thrifty

It was 1976 and I was still getting to know my new in-laws. They liked to come and visit unannounced, which was only once in awhile, since they lived 2,000 miles away. They always got up super early and cooked their own garlicy egg breakfast, filling the house with the aroma. One morning, I got up and came downstairs to see if they needed anything and found my father-in-law sitting at the kitchen table reading the paper. He was wearing a pair of black ladies eyeglasses with pointy corners and lots of rhinestones.

During a later visit, my sister Katie was with us. She had been behind my mother-in-law as she bent over to pick something up off of the floor. As she bent over her shirt came up in the back and her pants went down a little, as we all know happens. The thick, white elastic waistband of a pair of men's briefs was exposed with the large letters "B.V.D"..

2 comments:

Grant Swertfeger said...

I remember them bringing us "gifts" one time. They must have gotten a bag of goodies from a thrift store and decided that it would be good to give to us. They had us take turns picking things one at a time from the pile of stuff. I think there was a deck of cards and some hotwheels and other random stuff.

Paula said...

That's true, they gave whatever they picked up. Jerry tells me that the BVDs were Dale's. He'd gotten a new type of underwear and she didn't want them to go to waste.