Saturday, October 18, 2008

The good ol' days

When our Grandpa, Lee Swertfeger, was about 89 years old he was out to Oregon for one of his many visits. We had all been sitting around in the living room and talking and all of a sudden he decided to tell us stories from his youth.

He began, "Back when I was a boy..."

First he told us about the 4th of July celebrations when he was a kid. He said that they didn't have much money and so he and his brother would get a can and put rocks in it. They would run around shaking the cans to make noise and would repeat, "Hoorah! Hoorah for the 4th of July!"

He followed up with a story from a few years later when he was a young man. He said, "Back when I was running 'shine, I was making a run in the Ozarks and I noticed that a car was following me." He said that the road he was on was going up and down a lot of hills so he floored the gas to pull away from the car.

"I got to the top of that next hill and got out. I pulled out my gun and just pointed it right at that car. They didn't even slow down," he related.

No comments: